Chateau Cres Ricards

Stecia

The Château des Crès Ricards Estate was established in 1960 in the village of Ceyras (32 km from the coast). Fifty years later, Jean-Claude Mas acquired these 28 hectares. Jean-Claude was so fascinated by the terroir of the Terrasses du Larzac that he expanded the estate to 42 hectares in 2013. This sub-appellation of the Languedoc is known for its intensely flavorful and silky wines. Chateau des Crès Ricards is situated at the foot of the Mont Saint-Baudille in the Southern foothills of the Massif Central. The estate utilizes a unique geology of well-drained, iron rich, clay-limestone soils, with inclusions of pebbles and shale. Rich in micro-nutrients, the soils provide the vines with the best possible conditions for a slow ripening period, producing wines with exceptionally balanced structure and aroma. Here, the Cordon de Royat pruned vines are planted to a density of 5200 vines per hectare and yield 40 hl/ha. The grapes are exclusively hand harvested and undergo partial carbonic maceration. The vines are grown using sustainable viticulture practices, with portions of the vineyards being certified Terra Vitis.

Tasting Notes

This wine has explosive aromas of fresh blackcurrants, chopped wood, and flint. On the palate it is silky, refreshing, and all-around pleasing. Best served slightly cooled.


Cultivation

Limestone and clay, with pebbly soils on steep, terraced vineyards. Distinctive red soils are indicative of significant iron oxide deposits. The vines are between 13 and 51 years old.


Vinification

Sorting of the grapes, traditional winemaking for the Grenache, with daily racking or pumping over. Maceration between 2 and 4 weeks. Carbonic maceration for the Syrah and Carignan with whole bunches (15-18 days).


Aging

45% of the blend is aged in oak barrels for 8 months. The remaining 55% are aged in stainless steel vats.

APPELLATION

Terrasses du Larzac

VARIETAL

60% Syrah, 25% Grenache, 15% Carignan

ABV

14.5%

ALTITUDE

80 meters

SOIL

Limestone and clay with pebbly terraces

PHILOSOPHY

Sustainable

AVERAGE AGE

13-51 years

Explore similar wines...