Arrogant Frog

Cabernet Sauvignon Les Calades

Jean-Claude Mas, first-generation winemaker, fourth generation grape grower, and owner of Les Domaines Paul Mas, is a leader in fine winemaking in the Languedoc region of Southern France. Since taking the helm of the family winery in 2000, he has prioritized sourcing the highest quality grapes from twelve privately-owned estates and premier growers in the Languedoc to make wines of authenticity and refinement. The result is a collection of charming wines that burst forward with the warmth and stunning beauty of the region. Within just a few years of its launch, Arrogant Frog has become the mascot of all the Paul Mas estates. Jean-Claude has shown that with creativity, expertise, and humor, the wines of the Languedoc find eager drinkers across the globe. Arrogant Frog wines are a perfect representation of Les Domaines Paul Mas’ philosophy of “Le luxe rural,” rural luxury. Château Arrogant Frog encompasses 20 hectares of vineyards in Grand Cru Limoux, 15 of which are organically farmed and five are certified Terra Vitis. The vineyards sit at 200 meters elevation and are rooted in stony limestone-clay soils of the prestigious AOP Limoux and IGP Pays d’Oc. They face north in a heavily maritime-influenced area of the region. The grapes are hand-harvested while the vines are pruned using the Guyot simple and Cordon de Royat methods. Despite their Old World roots, Arrogant Frog wines will appeal to more New World palates with fresh, bright fruit and unique varietal character.

Tasting Notes

Let's be nerds: cocoa, tobacco, pepper tip and spicy vanilla. Round and full with crunchy tannins and smoky notes. Flavors of ripe fruit (cherry, blackcurrant, raspberry).


Cultivation

The soil is limestone and chalk with gravel and the vines are between 15 and 39 years old.


Vinification

The grapes are destemmed and then fermentation occurs at 26/28°C maximum. There are two pump overs per day during fermentation. 18 days post-fermentation maceration at 25°C, then malolactic fermentation.


Aging

20% of the blend was aged in one and two-year-old oak barrels for 4 months. The other 80% was aged for 4 months in stainless vats under temperature control and then bottled.

APPELLATION

Pays d'Oc IGP

VARIETAL

100% Cabernet Sauvignon

ABV

13.5%

ALTITUDE

100-150 meters

SOIL

Limestone and chalk with gravel

PHILOSOPHY

Sustainable

AVERAGE AGE

15-28 years

Explore similar wines...