Paul Mas Reserve

Chardonnay

Jean-Claude Mas, first-generation winemaker, fourth generation grape grower, and owner of Les Domaines Paul Mas, is a leader in fine winemaking in the Languedoc region of Southern France. Since taking the helm of the family winery in 2000, he has prioritized sourcing the highest quality grapes from twelve privately-owned estates and premier growers in the Languedoc to make wines of authenticity and refinement. The result is a collection of charming wines that burst forward with the warmth and stunning beauty of the region. Chateau Paul Mas is located between Pézenas and Montpellier, 10 km from the Mediterranean. The vineyards cover 162 hectares across the Languedoc, Languedoc Pézenas, Grés de Montpellier and Pays d’Oc appellations. These sites also provide the fruit for the Paul Mas Réserve line of wines. The vines are grown in an exceptional setting, surrounded by olive trees, pine forests, oak trees, and orchards–they enjoy exposure from the north, south, and west, and are cooled by the Mistral and Tramontane winds. The grapes are heavily influenced by the gravelly clay and limestone soils on the hillsides of the Herault valley, and the chalky, fossil-rich soils on the hills of the Thau marshes. The vines are grown using sustainable viticulture practices, with portions of the vineyards being organic or certified Terra Vitis.

Tasting Notes

Tropical aromas of pineapple, pear, and yellow apple with secondary aromas of vanilla and toast. A rich and soft wine with flavors of apricot, honey and pineapple.


Cultivation

Clay and limestone soils of the Saint Hilaire Vineyard.


Vinification

Destemming of the grapes and cooling down of the must upon arrival at the winery. No skin contact, pneumatic pressuring, racking at 8-10°C for clarification of the must. Malolactic fermentation for 20% of the cuvée.


Aging

15% of the Chardonnay has finished its fermentation in new oak barrels and has been aged in oak barrels for 3 months. The other 85% are aged only in stainless steel.

APPELLATION

Pays d'Oc IGP

VARIETAL

Chardonnay

ABV

13%

ALTITUDE

100-240 meters

SOIL

Clay and limestone

PHILOSOPHY

Sustainable

AVERAGE AGE

18-25 years

Explore similar wines...